Too many pedestrians & cyclists are dying. People are more willing to use protected infrastructure and it is safe.
2 recent deaths:
The data is very clear that protected bike lanes work:
Contrary to common belief on street infrastructure is safer than off street. Especially when done right.
Lots of good reasons to do this.
Here are 8 game changers that would help Rochester for an infrastructure perspective:
1: West Rochester Bikeway
2: Broadway Ave:
3: City Loop
4: Close trail gaps:
- Cascade Creek between Highway 52 Frontage Road & Kutzky Park
- Silver Lake / Broadway Ave / 14th Street NE
- Soldiers Field along River on Both Sides
- Zumbro River to the North
- 7th street NE to Quarry Hill
- SE to Gamehaven along former rail bed
5: Kutzky Greenway connecting the park to St. Marys & City Loop.
6: Regional trails to Byron (Stagecoach), Stewartville (Planned State Trail), Eyota (Planned trail through Chester Woods), Oronoco (No current plans). Despite my objections, Olmsted County did not allow for a bike trail to go under the new bridge being built at 55th street.
7: Don’t forget about trees or else the routes can be unpleasant in the summer.