Complete correspondence between myself and City Admin regarding resolution.

There is a ton here and I only post this because I don’t want to be accused of selectively posting data.  Again, this website is to serve as a model of government transparency.

Kvenvold, Steve

9:25 AM (37 minutes ago)

to Ardell, Randy, Ed, Sandra, me, Mark, Bruce, Mark, Gary, Terry, Larry
Mayor/Council: Some further thoughts on the Clean Air Resolution matter discussed last evening. I do understand and agree with the points made last night concerning a citizen right to contact the governing body on an issue of national interest. I overreacted in my dustup with Michael over this matter. I probably should have recommended that the Mayor/Council consider the position of the national municipal organization that the city is a member of when considering a resolution of support on a issue of national interest rather then declining to address the issue.

I will bring the resolutions in question to the COW for your consideration as they were originally submitted. Larry Koshire has indicated that APPA has an opinion  on this resolution and I would include that information. Stevan

Sent from my iPad

Clean Air Act Resolution

Kvenvold, Steve

Mar 12 (6 days ago)

to Mark, Ardell, Mark, Ed, Sandra, Bruce, Randy, me, Gary, Larry, Terry

Mayor/Council: I have received the attached from Michael. This matter was apparently brought up by Michael last November and Phil Wheeler took  the matter to the Energy Commission for consideration. I do not know who referred it to the CUDE committee. I assume that Michael’s use of “bump” would indicate that this information presents an obstacle to my recent recommendations concerning the consideration of the proposed Center for Biological  Diversity resolution in support of a 350 PPM carbon dioxide standard. I have the following comments:

–this information does not change my recommendation that the Energy Commission and CUDE should have some responsibility to include information on the possible ramifications on the community of the adoption of the proposed carbon dioxide standard if they recommend that the Mayor/Council should adopt the recommended resolution.

–this information also does not change my recommendation that the Mayor/Council adopt a motion or policy that the Mayor/Council will not take a position on an issue of national significance unless the national municipal organizations that the city is a member of (the National League of Cities and the U.S. Conference of Mayors) has addressed and endorsed the issue. I will  prepare a RCA for your consideration at the 3/17 City Council meeting on regarding this recommendation.

Michael has also expressed concern with the staff not following thru on this requests or recommendations that he has presented to staff. I have previously indicated to you that the staff is not directed by individual council members, but by a majority of the governing body. I would like it be to as clear as possible in the future that if a single council member makes requests of the staff at a public meeting, that the remainder of the council makes their agreement or disagreement with the request in order that  the staff has clear direction from the majority of the governing body on the direction to staff.

Stevan

From: Michael Wojcik [mailto:votewojcik@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 3:09 PM
To: Kvenvold, Steve
Subject: Fwd: Message from “RNP00267349779E”

Bump.

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Wheeler Phil <wheeler.phil@co.olmsted.mn.us>
Date: Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Subject: RE: Message from “RNP00267349779E”
To: “Spaeth, Terry” <tspaeth@rochestermn.gov>
Cc: “Wojcik, Michael” <votewojcik@gmail.com>, Tracy John <tracy.john@co.olmsted.mn.us>

Terry – Unless there is a need to act on this immediately, it would be appropriate to refer this to the Energy Commission for input. The Commission would support it, I believe, and could also flesh out the clause listing our current actions and policies. Their next meeting is the second Tuesday in November. – Phil

Phil Wheeler, AICP
Planning Director
2122 Campus Drive SE
Rochester, MN 55904
ph 507-328-7101
fax 507-328-7958

a community that welcomes diversity, with a safe, non-discriminating environment, and with respect and opportunity for all

—–Original Message—–
From: Spaeth, Terry [mailto:tspaeth@rochestermn.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:17 AM
To: Brede Ardell; Council President (councilpresidentstaver@outlook.com); Hruska, Ed; Wojcik, Michael; Snyder Bruce; Bilderback, Mark; Hickey, Mark; Means, Sandra
Cc: Kvenvold Steve; Neumann, Gary; Adkins, Terry; Scherr Judy; Wheeler Phil
Subject: FW: Message from “RNP00267349779E”

Councilmember Wojcik has requested that the attached information and draft resolution be brought forth to the Council for consideration.  The CUDE Committee will be discussing at their meeting tomorrow.

The Center for Biological Diversity, under the Clean Air Cities program is requesting that cities adopt a resolution supporting the Clean Air Act and the goal of attaining no greater than 350 ppm of carbon pollution from greenhouse gases.

I will prepare an RCA for Council consideration.  For more information, see the linked web site below:

—–Original Message—–
From: adminoffice@rochestermn.gov [mailto:adminoffice@rochestermn.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:07 AM
To: Spaeth, Terry
Subject: Message from “RNP00267349779E”

This E-mail was sent from “RNP00267349779E” (MP C3002).

Scan Date: 10.16.2013 10:07:20 (-0400)
Queries to: adminoffice@rochestermn.gov

Regards,

Michael Wojcik
Rochester City Council – Ward 2

www.votewojcik.org

“No one is big enough to be independent of others” – Dr. Will Mayo

“Take care of God’s creation. But above all, take care of people in need.” – Pope Francis

Michael Wojcik votewojcik@gmail.com

Mar 12 (6 days ago)

to Steve
Let me ask you this: Are you suggesting that when staff tells the council (with you present in the conversation) that they will perform a task we should not expect that task to be performed?  That is what I am getting from this conversation.  If so please explicitly state this to the council.

You may feel free to substitute Section 2 of this…  This of course meets the criteria you suggest as it is NLC policy.
I would suggest the questions that you ask are valid questions with regard to the internationally accepted 350 ppm standard.  However they have been answered already by the EPA in their cost benefit analysis.  I do expect that if you which to manage the work product of our citizen commissions you attend their meetings or provide clear guidance as to what you find acceptable to be presented to the council.  For you to intercept the work that you oversaw assigned to the commissions, without engaging those bodies in discussion is wrong in my opinion.

Michael Wojcik votewojcik@gmail.com

Mar 12 (6 days ago)

to RayEd

Michael Wojcik votewojcik@gmail.com

Mar 12 (6 days ago)

to Edward, Ray

Kvenvold, Steve

Mar 13 (5 days ago)

to PaulTerry, Mark, Ardell, Mark, Ed, Sandra, Bruce, Randy, me, Gary, Larry, Terry

Mayor/Council: More information for you on the continuing discourse between Michael and I on the Clean Air Act resolution and the alleged failure of city staff to follow the directions of the council or the completion of tasks that the staff indicated to the council that they would do. My comments:

–First, I am not attempting to manage the work products of the city commissions and I have avoided to do such during my tenure as City Administrator. However, one of my responsibilities as City Administrator is to attempt to ensure that items that come before the city council for consideration have enough information on the issue in order for the city council to make an informed decision. My recent direction to the Energy Commission and CUDE that they provide some information concerning the carbon dioxide standard that they are proposing that the Mayor and Council adopt, is appropriate, in my opinion, in carrying out my responsibilities.

–Second, Michael is a member of the RPU Board. When the proposed Center for Biological Diversity resolution was presented to the RPU Board for consideration, the Board declined to take action on it. Why did Michael not mention this fact to the city council when he requested that the resolution be brought forward for the council’s consideration.

-Third, Michael recently send a small snippet from the video of a council meeting regarding the Senior Center/Rec. Center project to indicate that the staff did not follow thru on some tasks that the staff said would be done in response to questions from Michael. I have been informed that there is a subsequent video link regarding the approval of consultants for the project in question that responds to the directions requested by Michael. I will forward that later today.

Finally, both myself and staff members will attempt, as much as possible, in future directions or requests from individual council members, to determine the consensus of the remaining council members on the directions or requests at the time they are made. Michael has indicated that he has been making a listing of those items that he is concerned about the lack of staff follow through on the items. I would be interested in input from the Mayor and the remaining council members on their feelings if there requests for information are not being provided on a timely basis by myself or the city staff members and I would also like to know the lack of staff follow through on those items that the council has taken a majority vote or majority consensus on.  I will maintain my long held position that individual council members should not provide direction to the organization and will attempt to be more vigilant in determining the entire council consensus on the direction to staff when individual council members make requests of the staff.

Stevan

From: Michael Wojcik [mailto:votewojcik@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:30 PM
To: Kvenvold, Steve

Subject: Re: Clean Air Act Resolution

Michael Wojcik votewojcik@gmail.com

Mar 14 (4 days ago)

to Steve
With regard to #2 your information appears to be incorrect.  It was never presented to the board, the board chair made that decision.

With regards to #3 I did not receive the video, but I am very interested in seeing the “urban transit oriented plan” and the second plan showing what was possible on the site.

Michael Wojcik votewojcik@gmail.com

Mar 14 (4 days ago)

to Steve
check that, I just found it in a spam folder, thanks I will review.
And:

Center for Biological Diversity Climate Law Institute Recommended Actions

Kvenvold, Steve

Mar 10 (8 days ago)

to e.cohen, brsmidt, Gary, Larry, Terry, Mark, Ardell, Mark, Ed, Sandra, Bruce, Randy, me
Dear

Both the Committee on Urban Design and Environment(CUDE) and the Energy Commission are requesting that the Mayor and City Council adopt a resolution in support of the Center for Biological Diversity Climate Law Institute request that the EPA use the Clean Air Act to reduce carbon in the atmosphere to no more than 350 parts per million.

I am returning the requests to your committees for more information regarding the requests. If the Mayor and City Council are to make an informed decision on your requests, they should have, at a minimum, the following information:

–What is Rochester’s current carbon dioxide reading and what actions, if any, would be required of the City of Rochester to meet the 350 PPM of carbon dioxide standard?

–Would the adoption of the carbon dioxide standard adversely affect any local businesses?

In fairness, I should mention that I intend to recommend to the Mayor and City Council that they avoid, as much as possible, taking a position on issues of national significance unless the issues have been addressed and endorsed by the national municipal organizations that the City of Rochester is a member of. These national municipal organizations are the National League of Cities and the U. S. Conference of Mayors. As of this writing, I do not know if these national municipal organizations have addressed the Center for Biological Diversity Climate Law Institute recommendations but I will attempt to find out if they have done so. The Mayor and City Council did recently affirmed the U.S. Conference of Mayors Climate Protection Agreement, which contains provisions related to greenhouse gas emission reductions.

Sincerely,
Stevan

201403101142.pdf

Kvenvold, Steve

Mar 12 (6 days ago)

to Mark, Ardell, Mark, Ed, Sandra, Bruce, Randy, me
For your information.

—–Original Message—–
From: Spaeth, Terry
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:16 AM
To: Kvenvold, Steve
Subject: RE: Center for Biological Diversity Climate Law Institute Recommended Actions

Steve,

I have reviewed both US Conf. of Mayors and NLC web pages, and did not see any reference to adopting the Clean Air Cities proposed resolution.  I did see that NLC has a fairly substantive set of policies related to clean air.  The policies do not include a specific CO2 threshold, as does the proposed resolution.

Terry