I am going to post some information on Parking here as it becomes available, however I wanted to first share what the current city goals are for public parking downtown. Our policies are consistent with this.
- Revenues from downtown parking should fully cover the costs of operating, maintaining and repaying debt for the parking utility.
- On street spots should be available to support businesses at the street level.
- Longer term parking belongs in ramps or at remote locations.
- Rates and policies should be used to maximize the availability of parking for those who most need it.
- Transit should be designed to be an alternative for all day downtown car storage for employees.
Every time we change anything we hear complaints. However I believe that most of these changes are supportive of these goals.
In the near future Parking Ramp #6 near the Hilton property will be opening up. The Bloom project will replace many of the spots lost when the 2nd street ramp (which is at the end of its life) comes down. Finally there is discussion of a future Parking Ramp #7 somewhere downtown in the future. All new ramps are designed to be accessible and redevelop-able with flat floors.